Fwd: Re: Passing time factor to tests run under jtreg

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Wed Nov 16 14:54:08 PST 2011

I don't understand your reasoning/math in your 2nd para below. Did you
mean 5 + (2*1) ??    Otherwise, according to my high school
math, 2*(5+1) == (2*5) + (2*1).

Timeouts are not meant to be reached in normal use. They are intended to
catch runaway tests, doing stuff like "while(true);". Therefore, I don't
think we should be micromanaging time too much.    If the test is
written to take 6 seconds on a typical machine, consisting of 5 seconds
activity and 1 second cleanup, then on a slower machine it should be
acceptable to use timefactor=2 and give it 12 seconds. Internally, the
test should not need to know it is running on a slower machine; it
should proceed to do the same activity as before, and if it now takes 5
seconds activity + (2*1) cleanup, well,   5 + 2*1 < 2*(5 + 1) and the
test will continue to pass.

-- Jon