Try to run core libs tests -- All IO tests failing

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Jul 31 07:18:19 PDT 2013

On 31/07/2013 05:53, Chris Hegarty wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this back to our attention Jon. I will follow up
> with the Apple folks to see what system call they are using in their
> Java6 implementation. I suspect they are using getsockname to
> determine the local IP address. It may be appropriate for OpenJDK to
> do the same.
You might want to check with Rob McKenna on this. There were one or two
reports previously that he looked into and I think (need to find the
mails) that there weren't actually JDK issues but more likely transient
or configuration issues. There were a couple of issues related to
problems introduced by the Mac port (like changing other platforms to
use getaddrinfo) but I thought we were will past all of those at this point.

> >Regarding the hostname, jtreg is executing the following code for all
> >tests, not just java.io tests
> >
> >        String hostname;
> >        try {
> >            hostname =
> >InetAddress.getLocalHost().getCanonicalHostName();
> >        } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
> >            hostname = "unknown";
> >        }
>
> To be more graceful you could return "localhost" or "127.0.0.1".
I agree, there are slew of reasons why it may not be possible to get the
canonical host name so a fallback to use the loopback would be much better.

-Alan.