Status of jtreg build

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Tue Apr 12 21:11:38 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 11:06 AM, Carsten Varming wrote:
> Dear jtreg devs,
>
> I wanted to download jtreg to run JDK9 hotspot regression tests, but I
> have been unsuccessful so far. Perhaps you know what I need to do to
> get going.
>
> The hotspot regression tests need at least jtreg 4.2 b01. When I
> downloaded the latest build published at
> https://adopt-openjdk.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jtreg/ (4.2.0-tip, from
> build 496) and tried the hotspot regression tests I got:
>
> Error: Unexpected exception occurred! java.lang.NumberFormatException:
> For input string: "ip"
> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "ip"
>         at
> java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(java.base at 9-internal/NumberFormatException.java:65)
>         at
> java.lang.Integer.parseInt(java.base at 9-internal/Integer.java:695)
>         at
> java.lang.Integer.parseInt(java.base at 9-internal/Integer.java:813)
>         at com.sun.javatest.regtest.Version.getBuild(Version.java:186)
>         at com.sun.javatest.regtest.Version.compareTo(Version.java:168)
>         at com.sun.javatest.regtest.Main.run(Main.java:1091)
>         at com.sun.javatest.regtest.Main.run(Main.java:1037)
>         at com.sun.javatest.regtest.Main.main(Main.java:951)
>
> I suspect the check against "requiredVersion=4.2 b01" from TEST.ROOT
> (http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs-rt/hotspot/file/1c08ca66db33/test/TEST.ROOT)
> went wrong. I suspect "build = manifest.getProperty("jtreg-Build");"
> in
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/code-tools/jtreg/file/6bfef17a03d5/src/share/classes/com/sun/javatest/regtest/Version.java
> sets Version.build to "tip" and Version.getBuild tries to parse "ip"
> as a number. :(
>
> I tried to get past this problem by changing the required jtreg
> version to 4.1 b01. That gets the tests running, but a third of them
> fail with a class loading problem: A ClassFormatError is thrown with
> "Truncated class file". This seems to be due to a
> missing java/lang/reflect/JTRegModuleHelper.class. I suspect that this
> requirement was introduced with the module system that was integrated
> a few weeks ago.
>
> So, how do I get a version of jtreg that works with the latest JDK9?
>
> BTW. It looks like the jtreg build
> (https://adopt-openjdk.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jtreg/) is failing because
> of a missing dependency on testng.
>
> Help much appreaciated,
> Carsten

The version of jtreg available on cloudbees.com has the following entry
in its MANIFEST.MF,

     jtreg-Build: tip

and jtreg is naively assuming it to be of the form
     jtreg-Build: b<integer>

I can make jtreg be more tolerant, but I also also note that the binary
is missing lib/asmtools.jar, which is required by some tests.  The
contents of the tar bundle are all dated 25 January 2016, 10:47 which is
somewhat suspicious.

-- Jon