Refresh of module system coming to jdk9/dev soon

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Mon Dec 5 20:13:16 UTC 2016

Whitebox testing is the most obvious example of code that has a good excuse
for poking inside implementation details.
For running jsr166 tests, I'm happy to report that the following seems to
work:

  <jvmarg value="-Xbootclasspath/p:@{classes}" unless:set="modules"/>
  <jvmarg line="--patch-module java.base=@{classes}" if:set="modules"/>
+ <jvmarg line="--add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED"
if:set="modules"/>
+ <jvmarg line="--add-opens java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED"
if:set="modules"/>
+ <jvmarg line="--add-opens
java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic=ALL-UNNAMED" if:set="modules"/>
+ <jvmarg line="--add-opens
java.base/java.util.concurrent.locks=ALL-UNNAMED" if:set="modules"/>

It would be nice if there was explicit guidance for authors of tooling
software like test harnesses.  jtreg has some magic in JTRegModuleHelper
that calls Module.implAddOpens reflectively, but that's not going to work
for ordinary software, and there's no cookbook recipe for how to do that.
 jtreg has the advantage that it is already spawning other java processes,
and so can inject arbitrary command line flags.

It would be nice if the production software could define test-only methods
(think "checkInvariants()") that could be invoked without having to resort
to reflection.  Google has some use-this-method-in-tests-only tooling that
uses annotations, but the enforcement is external to the jdk.  I keep
hoping that module systems would somehow work at the method level instead
of the package level, because we already have visibility keywords like
private at the method level.

Giving access to internals to legitimate tools while preventing other uses
seems like a Hard Problem.  For tools like debuggers or heap analyzers that
really want to see everything, there will be a strong desire to "disable
all module checks".  Or maybe the right way is for users to patch them into
java.base?  Guidance needed.