jtreg 4.2 fcs b08 has been promoted

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Fri Jul 28 19:09:57 UTC 2017

jtreg 4.2 b08 has just been promoted, and deserves a special note, since
it contains
a latent incompatible change in undocumented behavior that has affected
a few tests
in the various repos of a JDK forest.

Most folk should be unaffected by this change, and can reasonably ignore
the following details.

The change is to isolate the compiled classes for the non-library
classes for "traditional"
tests (i.e. any test using explicit action tags, like @build, @compile,
@run main.
The change is to help eliminate some of the non-deterministic behavior
we have seen
when running tests concurrently, when the tests are relying on implicit
compilation,
(instead of using @build,) to compile additional classes required by the
test.

The change means that there is an extra level of directory component in
the path
to the test's classes, as seen in the "test.classes" property. For most
tests, this change
is transparent and does not affect the test's execution. However, a
small number
of JDK tests incorrectly assumed a relationship between the location of
a test's classes
and the location of the classes for libraries used by the test. The
correct way to
determine the location of a library's classes is to examine the
test.class.path property.

To minimize the need to update tests, the new behavior is only enabled
for test
suites that explicitly request the use of "jtreg 4.2 b08" or later, in
the requiredVersion
property in TEST.ROOT.  The feature will not be enabled for test suites
that request
the use of an earlier version of jtreg. I expect this to be the case for
tests for all
versions of JDK prior to JDK 10.   Separately, all affected tests in JDK
10 have already
been updated.

-- Jon