Jtreg: Difference between vmoptions and javaoptions

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu May 25 07:57:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 25/05/2017 7:38 AM, Bysani, Keerthana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the main difference between vmoptions and javaoptions  when we
> use jtreg?

As per the help text:

  -javaoption:<option>
                     Additional java option for running test classes.

  -vmoption:<option>
                     Any other VM option. You can give this option multiple
                     times. Any embedded filenames must be given with
absolute
                     paths. This option will be used when compiling and
running
                     classes.

The former is only for running the test via "java ... <test>". The
latter is passed to any/all JVM tools used to build and then run the test.

> How can I specify which GC for Java to use while using jtreg to run the
> test suite in jdk/test? (I will be running a custom GC)
>
> Should I specify them as javaoptions or vmoptions?

javaoption

David