Trying the prototype

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Sat Aug 7 08:04:59 PDT 2010

Collin,

If you have built langtools by itself, the files in langtools/dist/bin/*
are scripts to be executed with a system like Cygwin. They are not drop
in replacements for the binaries in your Java installation on Windows.

On Windows, you have 3 options.

1. Use Cygwin to run the scripts in dist/bin/javac etc.

2. There is no magic in those scripts -- they simply run your standard
JDK 7 installation, putting the jar files in langtools/lib/*.jar on the
bootclasspath using the java -Xbootclasspath/p: option. This variant of
the option prepends the jar files to the normal boot classpath. If you
can figure out how to do that for your preferred execution environment,
you can do that.

3. Do a full JDK build. On Windows, this can be done, but is not for the
faint of heart.

-- Jon