Trouble inferring type of lambda

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 04:02:47 PDT 2010

Hi Mauritzio,

I think it is a bug, like I said in the original post the 'return
type' is 'NeverReturns' not void, which should be assignable to
anything (including Integer). Scala and BGGA handle this case, they
both have a 'NeverReturns' type (Scala and BGGA Nothing).

Cheers,

 -- Howard.

On 23 August 2010 20:35, Maurizio Cimadamore
<maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:
> This is not a bug. You are trying to SAM convert the following lambda:
>
> #(x) { throws Exception(); }
>
> into the following target method:
>
> <throws E> Integer call( Integer a1 ) throws E
>
> This is not possible, since the lambda expression is inferred to yield
> 'void' (no return expression found), while the target method returns
> Integer.
>
> Maurizio
>

> On 22/08/10 18:45, maurizio cimadamore wrote:
>>
>> On 22/08/2010 07:09, Howard Lovatt wrote:
>>

>>> For:
>>>
>>>    public interface Method1<R, A1, throws E>   { public R call( A1 a1 )
>>> throws E; }
>>>
>>> and:
>>>
>>>    public<throws E>   void forEach( final Method1<Integer, Integer, E>
>>> method ) throws E { ... }
>>>
>>> The compiler has trouble with:
>>>
>>>     il.forEach( #( i ) { throw new Exception(); } ); // Need to catch
>>> checked exception
>>>
>>> Giving:
>>>
>>> lambdas/Main.java:34: method forEach in class IntList11 cannot be
>>> applied to given types
>>>        il.forEach( #( i ) { throw new Exception(); } ); // Need to
>>> catch checked exception
>>>          ^
>>>    required: Method1<Integer,Integer,E>
>>>    found: #void(?)(Exception)
>>>    where E is a type-variable:
>>>      E extends Exception declared in method
>>> <E>forEach(Method1<Integer,Integer,E>)
>>>
>>> Qualifying doesn't help:
>>>
>>>    Method1<Integer, Integer, Exception>   #( i ) { throw new Exception();
>>> }
>>>
>>> It gives:
>>>
>>> lambdas/Main.java:34: incompatible types; no instance(s) of type
>>> variable(s) ? exist so that #void(?)(Exception) conforms to

--
  -- Howard.