Virtual extension methods -- a strawman design

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sat May 15 11:01:29 PDT 2010

>>   forEach or map or filter are so common that I don't see why
>> they will not be added to the JDK.
>
> I can think of many reasons.  Here's one: there is a major design decision
> about these kinds of methods that has been unexplored.

One of the reasons it has been left unexplored is that it was not possible
without breaking compatibility, so any such exploration would have been moot.
  And many of the mechanisms for allowing binary compatible interface
evolution were unacceptable for various reasons.

The technical points you raise are great discussions to have, and I welcome
them.