First draft of translation document

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Tue May 18 07:22:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Howard Lovatt <howard.lovatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is good to see a draft of how lambdas might be implemented, I think
> that it makes it easier to discuss some issues and also clarifies some
> parts of the specification.
>
> An alternative to using MethodHandles is to use a Callable interface
> and then use inner classes to capture the 'frame';

Do you mean like section 6.2 of Brian's document?

The VM does not "support" inner classes.  Rather, inner classes are a
language construct implemented by compiler "magic".  Inner classes are
translated by javac into ordinary (static) classes, with additional
fields representing captured state and enclosing instances.  Brian's
document describes the translation of lambdas to primitives supported
by the VM.