Updated State of the Lambda

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 07:06:32 PST 2011

Hi all,

I can understand that some syntax could be confusing, or makes
understanding the semantics a little more difficult to understand, but
don't we until late 2013 to nail the syntax down? I personally fall
into this trap of thinking about syntax first, but having done some
DSL work and hanging around with too many language geeks ;-) in the
past year it's made me think the other way around.

I think it would be more beneficial if we all dive in a little deeper
and investigate/tackle the semantic issues first. I think that they
need more upfront thinking and longer time to resolve any issues than
getting the compiler to recognize a syntax change.

It probably will help to have a wiki/doc on why some syntax decisions
have already been made (or ruled out) so we can point people to an FAQ
of sorts.  I'll have a chat with Richard to get this started.

@Everyone - we're the best place for this?  A wiki page on openjdk.java.net?

Cheers,
Martijn