Re-specification and re-abstraction

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Thu Dec 22 06:18:37 PST 2011

[ oops, hit reply too soon ]

>> Looking from the perspective of code evolution: if an interface method
>> was abstract (non-default) at the start

I think the point you're missing is: when is the start?  At the time
many of the classes involved were written, the notion of a default
interface method didn't exist.  At the start, NO methods had defaults.

If we were started over from scratch with a new language, considerations
of "existing code does ... which means ..." would be irrelevant.  But
we're not in that world.