Streams design strawman

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Wed Apr 18 19:49:34 PDT 2012

I've posted a strawman writeup of the key concepts we're thinking about
for the libraries at:

   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/lambda/collections-overview.html

The design is still rough, and we've started checking in an even rougher
implementation into the lambda repository.  There are lots of omissions,
errors, and open questions.  But it is at a point where we've got a
consistent enough strawman for people to start playing with it, and
share their experience.

As the document suggests, there are a large number of open issues, and
we've temporarily ignored these for the purposes of pulling together
something that captures the basic functionality.  We've deliberately
deferred addressing many sticky issues including attachment to
collections, primitive specialization, checked exceptions, infinite
streams, IO-backed streams, nulls, and of course, naming.

These are all sticky issues, and we'll get to them, but for now, I'd
like to leave them be for a little while longer, so that we can shake
out the key functionality first.

What I am asking of the community is: TRY OUT THE CODE.  *The single
most valuable thing that the community can do to help move this effort
forward, and improve the quality of the result, is to try out the code
early and often.*  (A single practical experience report is worth many
armchair observations and suggestions!)

What's in the lambda repo right now is still a little rough, but within
the next few days it should be cleaned up enough for people to be able
to try it out on their code.  We would love it if people could try to
lambdify some small bit of their code base, and report back on how it
worked -- whether it worked great, or not.  Also valuable is where you
got stuck, such as "I had trouble converting this pattern to use the new
libraries."