Streams design strawman

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sun Apr 22 07:52:08 PDT 2012

Think "histograms."  The idea is you are taking a stream of values and
categorizing them.  Say you have a collection of classes.  One way to do
this is by returning a map-stream:

   classes.groupBy(c -> c.getSuperClass())

yields

   Object => AbstractList, AbstractSet, AbstractMap
   AbstractList => LinkedList, ArrayList

etc.

The "keys" of the new bi-stream are not (necessarily) elements of the
original stream; they are drawn from the range of the mapping function
passed to groupBy.

We could synthesize this kind of group-by by composing a mapping
operation (map element to synthetic key), producing a stream of pairs,
and then a "collect" operation that collects elements mapped to a given
synthetic key, and that collection operation could concatenate into a
stream, count them up, etc.