Default method survey results

Peter Levart peter.levart at marand.si
Thu Aug 16 09:35:14 PDT 2012

Just one more, then I quit (for a while).

The phylosophical question is whether the "default" modifier actualy specifies
the type of a method in itself. I think it does not. The method is either
"concrete" (with a body) or "abstract" (just signature).

The "concrete" interface method becomes default in a specific context - when
used in hierarchy with a class. Only in hierarchy with a class it specifies a
default implementation which is used if not overriden with a class method of
any type (abstract or concrete).

If "concrete" interface method is observed in the context where there's only
interfaces, then it does not represent a default method.

Such interface-only hierarchy could be observed in a system that automatically
generates anonymous classes that implement such interfaces and never
"override" concrete methods on interfaces (say java.lang.reflect.Proxy). Can
those concrete interface methods be called "default" methods then?

Regards, Peter