Default method survey results

maurizio cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Sat Aug 18 01:14:01 PDT 2012

On 17-Aug-12 3:19 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:
> Maurizio,
>
> I think those opining for scuttling the "default" keyword have a
> strong argument. Concrete methods don't need any special keywording
> today with classes; likewise it shouldn't also be necessary in
> interfaces. A coder doesn't need to say "Hey, I am providing an
> implementation" two times: once with "default" and then again with
> curly braces. The special treatment is just not required ... or even
> helpful. As someone just said, default methods are new today but they
> won't be in 5 years. Adding the keyword draws attention to the method
> for the wrong reason: it is just an exercise on emphasizing the
> newness of this functionality.
If you are coming from 'a default method is a concrete method', then I
agree, the argument is pretty strong.
But it would not reflect the behavior very well; as pointed out by Remi,
a default method is essentially an abstract method with a 'suggestion'
for the VM - if no implementation can be found for a given method,
here's one for you. The class-hierarchy establishes as to whether the
method becomes concrete or remains abstract.

Since this semantics is subtly different from the one of standard
concrete methods in classes, why would you want to use the same syntax
for both concepts, or claim that it would not cause confusion to do so?

Maurizio