RFR: CR#8004561 : Additional Functional Interfaces and Updates

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sun Dec 23 10:36:41 PST 2012

Yes, this is a deliberate u-turn that comes as a result of the
unexpected interactions with the overloading resolution rules.

By having DoubleBlock extending Block<Double>, we created problems for
overloading.  For example, consider this expected-to-be-common
overloading in Bunch<T>:

   <U> Bunch<U> transform(Function<T,U> transformer)
       IntBunch transform(IntFunction<T> transformer)

There are some conflicting rules in overload selection:
  - prefer more-specific SAMs to less specific (favors IntFunction)
  - prefer less boxing/unboxing

What we'd like is to choose the former when the "natural" type of
transformer is T -> Integer and the latter when the "natural" type is T
-> int.  But, because the more specific rule has higher priority, we
would coerce a T -> Integer into a T -> int (with unboxing) all the time.