Optional class is just a Value

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Wed Sep 19 08:47:09 PDT 2012

Brian,

I think the Optional class could be better named. I consider it a negative
noun -- focusing on its ability to not contain a value. Really, it is
nothing more than a bean for a value (and the value might be absent). It
could have greater use than lambda so maybe it could be called something
else.

Lacking a better suggestion myself, I thought it should be called "Value"
... and, if you refactored into an interface, you could possibly retrofit
the java.lang type wrappers to implement it too.

Paul