Old / New build systems strategy ?

Henri Gomez henri.gomez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:15:49 PDT 2012

>> No policy or recommendation ?
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking. Projects involving significant build
> support are moving to, or already using, the new build as that is the
> future.

I'm discussing about official recommendation by project to select new
build instead of old one.
Project by project (ie: Lambda, Jigsaw) and globally JDK8.

>> You mention new build system will became be default for JDK8 "real
>> soon now", did there is any date or planning available ?
>

> No firm date that I am aware of. The build-infra team have been working on
> getting the new build as bit-for-bit compatible with the existing build as
> feasible. I had hoped to see this work finalized by now, but it is still a
> work in progress.

I track commit in build-infra and wondering how to use it :

- packagers/builders should get up to date build-infra trunk and
inject it in projects tree ?

- packagers/builders up new build system available in projects and
project team sync build-infra time to time ?

>> My targets are OSX, Linux and Windows in a near future, could I switch
>> today to new build systems for them ?
>

> I think Linux is fine. I can't comment on the other platforms as I don't
> build for them.

I'll move obuildfactory Linux packages to new build and I'll check that.
For OSX, I'll do same for openjdk-osx-build but I encountered some
problems in the past, so I'm a bit more prudent now.

Cheers