StreamBuilder is awesome

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Thu Apr 11 12:46:38 PDT 2013

Yes, the precipitating cause was to mitigate the pain of taking away
FlatMapper, but as you point out, it has other uses too.

Note that you could always use ArrayList as a stream builder, so its not
like this is something you couldn't do at all before.  But it should be
more efficient, since it requires fewer object creations and doesn't
have to copy elements every time you overflow a buffer.

The streams that are built still retain reasonable parallelism.  The
internal representation is an array of increasing-size arrays, so the
spliterator first splits the "spine" array and then can split into the
individual arrays.

We're still twiddling with the API to try to ensure that it can be done
with minimum overhead for flatMap-like usages (after all, if we didn't
care about overhead, we'd just say "use ArrayList".)