Map.getOrDefault(Object,Supplier<V>) override

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Thu Apr 18 19:06:41 PDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Jed Wesley-Smith <jed at wesleysmith.io> wrote:

> myMap.getAsOptional(myKey).map((Map.Entry<K, V> e) -> e.getValue()).orElse(() -> z)

I also considered Map.getEntryAsOptional:  Since (hypothetical) getEntry cannot return null, Optional<Entry> is good.

But the use cases are verbose, partly because you need to declare a temp of type Optional<Entry<K,V>>.  And/or you need some funky methods on Optional (as above).  (New default methods on Entry won't seem to help, alas.)  Either way the use cases are not very ... usable.

— John