Streams factories in Stream

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 00:43:44 PDT 2013

On 04/24/2013 08:18 AM, John Rose wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Peter Levart <peter.levart at gmail.com
> <mailto:peter.levart at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> And if the translation used invokedynamic to obtain a cached empty
>> array of a particular element type (like lambda metafactory does for
>> lambdas), the overhead to obtain such would be minimal.
>
> Good point.  I was thinking of clunkier things like
> Arrays.EMPTY_OBJECT_ARRAY or private synthetic constants.  — John

There would at least have to be Arrays.EMPTY_OBJECT_ARRAY *and* private
synthetic constants since the spec. requires that this code works:

public static <T> T[] array(T ... elements) { return elements; }

String[] strings = array();
Integer[] integers = array();

It would be nice to have a method like above in j.u.Arrays then.

Regards, Peter