Java 8 Bug

Zhong Yu zhong.j.yu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 08:50:29 PST 2013

Hi Alan, the code compiles in jdk8 build 115. (I notice that the email is from
9 days ago)

However, I doubt that it *should* compile even in Java7. Essentially,
we have a capture variable `x` whose upper bound is `Enum`, and we
need to test `x<:Enum<?>`, which should fail.

---

BTW, Your method signature is probably better off as

    <E extends Enum<E>> Map<String, Enum<E>>
    parseEnumConstants(Class<E> clazz)

An interesting question is, given a `Class<?>` object, how do we
convince compiler that it is a `Class<e>` for some `e` that
`e<:Enum<e>`? I think there are pretty good answers in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15366375

Zhong Yu