Refactor of Collector interface

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri Feb 8 08:36:05 PST 2013

Your subjective sense is accurate, which is why I brought this up.  This
may be an example where is better to depart from the traditional approach.

To your question, it depends what you mean by "purely to do with an
implementor."  Collector *users* are going to be burdened with the
performance consequences of multiple layers of wrapping/conversion.

The implementation used to be full of alternation between:

interface Foo<T,U> {
     U transform(T t);
}

class FooAdapter<T,U> {
     FooAdapter(Function<T,U> lambda) { ... }

     U transform(T t) { return lambda.apply(t); }
}

and

Function<T,U> parentTransformer = foo::transform;

and back again, introducing layers of wrapping even when the function is
not changing across layers.