RFR : JDK-8001642 : Add Optional<T>, OptionalDouble, OptionalInt, OptionalLong

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu Mar 14 16:36:04 PDT 2013

On 03/14/13 13:06, Brian Goetz wrote:
> I've closed the survey, results are at:
>

> https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=c2NqWp6wXUxCUlr6SY05nYEyYIr7ShzH3IgL4OXPIYM_3d
>

> Here, we did not reach a clear consensus.  However, I think some people may have
> misunderstood the question.  I'll let Doug, as proponent of this approach, take
> another swing at what is being proposed here, and why this might achieve
> best-of-both-worlds.

The argument is straightforward. Nothing very best-ish about it though:

1. It is possible to obtain all functionality of all Stream
methods without encountering Optional, except for findAny/findFirst.

2. Optional remains controversial. Some people hate it. Some
people love it. Why single out findAny/findFirst as a battleground?

-Doug

(PS: As always, I think Optional is so great as to be essential if you
have Value types. Oh, we don't have Value types...)