Spliterator flags as enum (was Initial java.util.Spliterator putback)

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu Mar 28 12:06:17 PDT 2013

On 03/28/13 14:52, Joshua Bloch wrote:
> Doug,
>
> I don't get it. You can set and unset flags on your own EnumSet.  Why isn't that
> sufficient?

There are a lot of problems. First, even
though most spliterators will return the same set of
characteristics each time, you can't just create one static one:

class MySpliterator { ...
   static final EnumSet<Characteristics>  cs = EnumSet.of(...);
   EnumSet<Characteristics>  characteristics() return cs; }
}

... because you cannot risk that no one will modify.

Second, when inside streams, you'd have to create a new EnumSet
Object across each stage, that somehow secretly extends the
public Characteristics with non-public internal control flags.
Which means either some slow conversion table or grabbing
private EnumSet internals.

So it is both slow and painful. I tried to make it less so,
knowing that people sometimes react hostilely to plain bit
sets. But I'm sure that the current scheme is better than all
I tried. (Ditto for Brian Goetz and Paul Sandoz).
In fact, I think the current scheme is sorta nice in
an absolute sense.

-Doug