Updated SotL/L documents for Iteration 2

Raab, Donald Donald.Raab at gs.com
Wed Sep 12 21:55:01 PDT 2012

We released GS Collections 2.0 a few weeks ago on GitHub and it includes an approach to primitives similar to what you describe below Brian.

https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections/tree/master/collections-api/src/main/java/com/gs/collections/api

You'll find IntIterable, LongIterable, FloatIterable and DoubleIterable in this package.

You get to these iterables through the LazyIterable api by calling collect{Int|Long|Float|Double} with the appropriate {Int|Long|Float|Double}Function.

https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections/blob/master/collections-api/src/main/java/com/gs/collections/api/LazyIterable.java#L103

We also added short-cuts for sumOf{Int|Long|Float|Double} on RichIterable.

https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections/blob/master/collections-api/src/main/java/com/gs/collections/api/RichIterable.java#L695

We've updated the GS Collections Kata to use the new initial primitive support available in GSC 2.0 to illustrate some of the benefits.

You can see some of the differences in results leveraging Java 8 w/ GSC 2.0 primitive support below.

Current using sumOfDouble:
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/solutions-java8/src/main/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Customer.java#L59

Previous using primitive injectInto:
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/63478be0d0b95d72d66adf17d6391107363dd332/src/main/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Customer.java#L59

Current using collectDouble:
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/solutions-java8/src/test/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Exercise6Test.java
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/solutions-java8/src/test/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Exercise7Test.java

Previous using boxed Doubles:
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/63478be0d0b95d72d66adf17d6391107363dd332/src/test/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Exercise6Test.java
https://github.com/goldmansachs/gs-collections-kata/blob/63478be0d0b95d72d66adf17d6391107363dd332/src/test/java/com/gs/collections/kata/Exercise7Test.java

We are working on adding primitive Lists, Sets, Bags, Stacks, Maps to round out the primitive support in GS Collections.  We're also deciding how much additional API we would like to support on the current primitive Iterables.  We should be adding select, reject, detect soon and will be deciding what other API we would like to carry over from RichIterable.

The total surface area for a Java collections library with support for both object and primitive collections with a rich fluent API is certainly non-trivial.