ArrayFactory SAM type / toArray

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Thu Sep 20 01:13:27 PDT 2012

On 09/20/2012 08:49 AM, Joshua Bloch wrote:
> Donald,
>
> I believe this does work, with one caveat: if the type is generic,
> these methods will return a generic array, which will generate an
> unchecked cast warning.

No, with the current JLS rules, you can't create a Class of T with a
generic T without a warning.
List<String>.class doesn't compile and foo = new ArrayList<String>(),
foo.getClass() returns a Class<ArrayList>
(and not a Class>ArrayList<T>>), so you can't create a generic array
without having an unsafe cast somewhere.

But there is an issue with Class that represents a primitive type,
int.class is typed Class<Integer>, so either emptyArray() should return
an Integer[] or
it should throw an exception.

>     Josh

Rémi