explode

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Thu Feb 7 10:34:08 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:

> I think the proposed solution there is:
>  - example in Javadoc, and/or static helper...

OK, then.

I was still having trouble following the semantics while names were being
discussed, so I'm very late to the naming party. "flatMap" doesn't convey
much to me, but I guess I could learn to use it. Here's my beef: A roughly
analogous name in Guava is the unlovely but crystal clear
"transformAndConcat". That's not accurate enough here, since the action is
more general than concatenation, but something like "mapAndCollect" conveys
the process in the right order -- first map, then collect the results --
which is something that "flatMap" gets backwards: "a flattening of mapped
elements".

--tim