stream() / parallelStream() methods

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Feb 9 04:09:32 PST 2013

On 02/08/13 18:35, Kevin Bourrillion wrote:
> Doug, I am extraordinarily unmoved by this concern. :-)  Does a break-even point
> moving a few elements in either direction really matter?

People dealing with parallel library support need some attitude
adjustment about such things. On a soon-to-be-typical machine,
every cycle you waste setting up parallelism costs you say 64 cycles.
You would probably have had a different reaction if it required 64
object creations to start a parallel computation.

That said, I'm always completely supportive of forcing implementors
to work harder for the sake of better APIs, so long as the
APIs do not rule out efficient implementation. So if killing
parallelStream is really important, we'll find some way to
turn stream().parallel() into a bit-flip or somesuch.

-Doug