Status for "most specific" varargs method?
stephan.herrmann at berlin.de
Tue Feb 11 08:18:11 PST 2014
Looking at remaining differences in behavior between javac and ecj,
I came across this bug from 2009:
This made me wonder about the status of this bug.
* Is JLS8 supposed to change the picture?
- (I don't see it would)
* Are there plans to fix this in javac?
- (javac8 again shows the bug, after javac7 did not)
We'd love to be consistent with JLS *and* javac :)
PS: I made experiments as to what spec changes would allow us
to accept the example. I figured extending the 3 phases of
overload resolution into 4 might be the cleanest way:
1. applicable by strict invocation
2. applicable by loose invocation
3. applicable by variable-arity strict invocation
4. applicable by variable-arity loose invocation
IFF the current javac behavior is desired, then this would be
my proposal for JLS9 :)
More information about the lambda-spec-experts