Virtual Threads: A Short Note about Naming

Cay Horstmann cay.horstmann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:51:10 UTC 2019

I agree that naming is important. Not sure "virtual" is a winner because
it has connotations of increased cost.

Virtual memory invokes nagging thoughts about paging and cache misses.

Virtual functions are more expensive to call than plain old functions
because they can't be inlined. (Except speculatively in the JVM :-))

"User-mode" is not necessarily better than "lightweight". Those yet
unknown even lighter-weight threads that the future may bring could
still be "user-mode".

That's where "strand" or "fiber" is handy. But if you think those are
tainted, you could try a new term like "threadlet" or "blue thread".

Cheers,

Cay