Not resuming Virtual Threads?

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Fri Jul 3 18:59:35 UTC 2020

Right. Liveness in Java in general is not guaranteed by the language or runtime
but by the thread scheduler. The scheduler for platform threads is the one in the
OS kernel, so the liveness of those threads is whatever liveness that scheduler
guarantees. Java does not guarantee that your finally block *will* be executed;
it just says that *if* your scheduler happens to guarantee the liveness of a thread
then some line of Java code will be executed (actually, it doesn’t even guarantee
that for finally blocks, and there are cases when they are skipped altogether, but
that’s a whole other can of worms). Anyway, same goes for virtual threads, only
we let you provide your own scheduler, written in Java.

Obviously, using a custom thread scheduler or playing with the knobs of a provided
one is advanced usage that carries its own risk, but I don’t see how this is fundamentally
different than an OS that would expose some thread-scheduler knobs which you will
then control using Panama; or even some external program sending signals to your
threads. In other words, unless you know what you’re doing, it’s probably not a good
idea to mess with your threads’ scheduler, whether it’s implemented in a Java library
or in the kernel.

However, if there are any ideas for added safety, I’m certainly open to them.

BTW, continuations will not be exposed (not at first) because you get 99% of their
“business benefit” with 1% of the risks with virtual threads.

— Ron