[External] : Re: Semantics of CollectedHeap::requires_barriers()

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Fri Feb 12 09:20:24 UTC 2021

That code is now undergoing a significant rewrite, but I’m thinking that what’s good for ZGC should work for Shenandoah.
The basic idea is that when the GC first sees derived pointers, it converts them to offsets. With concurrent GCs, this is
done while relying on memory ordering so as not to require synchronization, and thawing detects if the GC has made such
changes by testing if the last oop in the chunk that the GC iterates over, the cont field, is fixed or not.

— Ron