JEP draft: Scope Locals

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed May 12 14:42:21 UTC 2021

There's been considerable discussion about scope locals on the loom-dev list,
and it's now time to open this to a wider audience. This subject is important
because. although scope locals were motivated by the the needs of Loom, they
have many potential applications outside that project.

The draft JEP is at

I've already received some very helpful suggestions for enhancements to
the API, and it'll take me a while to work through them all. In particular,
Paul Sandoz has suggested that I unify the classes Snapshot and Carrier,
and it will take me some time to understand the consequences of that.

In the meantime, please have a look at the JEP and comment here.

For reference, earlier discussions are at

https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/loom-dev/2021-March/002268.html
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/loom-dev/2021-April/002287.html
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/loom-dev/2021-May/002427.html

--