RFR: Loom test groups for development/porting use [v2]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Tue Oct 12 08:07:12 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 07:23:27 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Porting/development work would be much simpler if we had a comprehensive test group with Loom-specific tests. There is `tier1_loom`, but it probably has a separate meaning. We can add some test groups with Loom-specific tests. I basically went and added tests that are added/substantially-modified by Loom, judging by a [recent webrev](https://builds.shipilev.net/patch-openjdk-loom-fibers/).
>>
>> Sample run:
>>

>> $ time CONF=linux-x86_64-server-fastdebug make test TEST="hotspot_loom jdk_loom"
>> ==============================
>> Test summary
>> ==============================
>>    TEST                                              TOTAL  PASS  FAIL ERROR
>>    jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg:hotspot_loom                62    62     0     0
>>    jtreg:test/jdk:jdk_loom                              83    83     0     0
>> ==============================
>> TEST SUCCESS
>>
>> Finished building target 'test' in configuration 'linux-x86_64-server-fastdebug'
>>
>> real	9m32.660s
>> user	103m5.744s
>> sys	5m37.864s
>
> Aleksey Shipilev has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Do separate test groups

test/hotspot/jtreg/TEST.groups line 111:

> 109:   :tier1_loom \
> 110:   runtime/jni/IsVirtualThread \
> 111:   serviceability/dcmd/thread

It would be okay to include these in tier1_loom_runtime and tier1_loom_serviceability as you had them.

test/jdk/TEST.groups line 105:

> 103:     java/util/concurrent/Future \
> 104:     jdk/internal/vm/Continuation \
> 105:     jdk/jfr/threading

Probably better to run java/util/concurrent rater than specific directories, it will otherwise get unwieldy once the tests move to the right place. You can probably drop Throwable, it's not interesting to run have its tests in this test group. Not sure about the JFR threading tests, we've been using the jdk_jfr group for that.