Submitted JEP: Extent-Local Variables

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 08:24:24 UTC 2022

Hi Mark,

On 10/08/2022 22:26, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> First, thank you!  This is great work, and along with the rest of Loom
> it’s going to change the world.

Thank you. I do hope it's value is widely recognised and appreciated.

> As written, the JEP implies that `ExtentLocal` has a `run(...)` method,
> but of course it doesn’t -- that’s declared in `ExtentLocal.Carrier`,
> which you don’t mention anywhere in the JEP.  I’m guessing that you
> chose not to mention the latter class so as to avoid making the JEP even
> longer.  I’ve thus tried in the text to weaken the implication that
> `ExtentLocal` declares `run(...)`.  Since the carrier class enables
> chained `where(...)` invocations, which seem very useful, I do recommend
> that you consider explaining it in a short subsection just before the
> migration discussion.  (It’d be fine to continue to suppress mention of
> it earlier on.)

This sounds like a good idea. I have to confess that I was only vaguely
aware of the details of how this works (which quite possibly explains
why the current gloss belies the API). I hope Andrew Haley can provide a
draft, which I will endeavour to critique before submission.

> Please review my edits, make any necessary corrections and adjustments,
> and then I’ll move this JEP to Candidate.
I'm very happy with all your edits, thanks (including your En_US drive
chain replacing my more haphazard En_UK sower).

regards,

Andrew Dinn