[External] : Re: jstack, profilers and other tools

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Tue Jul 19 22:52:12 UTC 2022

On 19 Jul 2022, at 18:38, Alex Otenko <oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com<mailto:oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com>> wrote:

Agreed about the architectural advantages.

The email that triggered my rant did contain the claim that using Virtual threads has the advantage of higher concurrency.

> The throughput advantage to virtual threads comes from one aspect — their *number* — as explained by Little’s law.

Yes, and that is correct. As I explained, a higher maximum number of threads does indeed mean it is possible to reach the higher concurrency needed for higher throughput, so virtual threads, by virtue of their number, do allow for higher throughput. That statement is completely accurate, and yet it means something very different from (the incorrect) “increasing the number of threads increases throughput”, which is how you misinterpreted the statement.

This is similar to saying that AC allows people to live in areas with higher temperature, and that is a very different statement from saying that AC increases the temperature (althoughI guess it happens to also do that).

— Ron