[External] : Re: jstack, profilers and other tools

Alex Otenko oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 13:05:44 UTC 2022

I am not sure what made you think I am fighting for async style everywhere.
I am merely pointing out that some tasks are harder to solve in sync code -
and impossible to solve, if you rely on library/built-in that isn't doing
what you want. Like, if JDK doesn't expose a mechanism to prioritize reads,
you can't solve the problem of reading fewer requests completely vs more
requests partially.

Also, I am not clear why you dismissed the allocation problem by just
saying IO buffering is the same. The allocation problem is that user code
allocates before read(byte[]) is called. This is the same in both sync and
async code. The difference is that in async code the lifespan of the
allocation is shorter - we read only read-ready channels, and those that
aren't ready return quickly. In sync code the buffer remains allocated for
a long time - even seconds, if that's what the connection reuse pattern is
on the client side.