[External] : Re: jstack, profilers and other tools

Alex Otenko oleksandr.otenko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:26:11 UTC 2022

The "other laws" don't contradict Little's law, they only explain that you
can't have an equals sign between thread count and throughput.

Let me remind you what I mean.

1 thread, 10ms per request. At request rate 66.667 concurrency is 2, and at
request rate 99 concurrency is 99. Etc.  All of this is because response
time gets worse as the "other laws" predict. But we already see thread
count is not a cap on concurrency, as was one of the claims earlier in this
thread.

If we increase thread count we can improve response times. But at thread
count 5 or 6 you are only 1 microsecond away from the "optimal" 10ms
response time. Whereas arithmetically the situation keeps improving (by an
ever smaller fraction of a microsecond), the mathematics of it cannot
capture the notion of diminished returns.

So that answers why we are typically fine with a small thread count.

Alex