State of x86_32 port of JEP 425: Virtual Threads (Preview)

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Wed Jun 15 18:26:38 UTC 2022

> On 15 Jun 2022, at 17:54, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Adding to the pile of port reports for Loom.

Hi Aleksey, and thank you for that great work!

> Anyhow, the choice between "ship x86_32 without VM continuations" or "ship x86_32 without C2" is obvious: VM continuations are out. So, barring some debugging miracle, I don't expect x86_32 port to be fully ready for JDK 19.

Am I right to understand that to mean that the x86-32 port does fully implement the virtual threads spec, albeit with the “fake virtual thread” implementation rather than VM continuations?

> In fact, it is not even clear to me if the "shared" code is actually fully architecture-independent, or just happens to work on x86_64 and AArch64. The current code needs to have significant cleanup, refactoring and (re-)documentation for sane porting/debugging work. This, I think, should be #1 priority, and before that is done and ports are able to catch up, it would be unwise to pile more Loom stuff on.

The current implementation focused on x64 and aarch64, and it is certainly possible that some assumptions about those architectures crept in. Over time, I expect that contributions from maintainers of other ports would gradually guide refactoring of the code into a more platform independent shape. Of course, any port maintainer who wishes to join the project and participate more actively is more than welcome.

— Ron