Benefits of Rx, Without the Complexity

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Jun 21 13:11:16 UTC 2022

"Backpressure" is just a fancy new term for the age-old concept of
bounding resource utilization by stalling or refusing excessive
requests. Examples include:

  - thread pools -- limit the number of concurrently executing tasks
  - semaphores -- limit the number of a critical resource (socket
connections, open files, etc), by stalling incremental requests until
the resource becomes free
  - producer/consumer with blocking queues -- when consumers are
overloaded, stall the producers
  - queuing of socket connect requests in the OS, and refusing
additional requests after the queue gets too long
  - various networking flow control protocols using send credits,
sliding windows, etc (xmodem, TCP)

These are often used in conjunction; a thread pool may have a fixed
number of threads *and* a bounded queue for waiting tasks.  OSes queue
socket requests until some limit, and then refuse incremental requests.
These are all techniques of slowly pushing the load back to the source.

But, backpressure is not magic; it still requires analysis and control.
Before you can use it effectively, you have to identify what the
resources are that might get over-consumed, and choose a strategy for
managing it.  Obvious strategies include "don't call me, I'll call you",
queue size limits, etc. But none of these are applied magically; they
require you to configure them.  Reactive's contribution, such as it is,
is to put these concepts in the foreground, where users are reminded to
think about them.

All of these techniques are still available to us.  But we have to
identify what resources are in danger of being overconsumed, and protect
them appropriately.  The concepts for doing so are older then Java --
semaphores, blocking queues, etc.