Can continuation support finally solve the "How do I stop this thread" problem?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Sep 7 06:15:46 UTC 2022

On 06/09/2022 10:57, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 9/2/22 22:34, Ron Pressler wrote:
>> I don’t think all OS operations have non-blocking alternatives (at
>> least before io_uring), but Alan will know more.
>
> Name resolution, in particular. This is a workaround, kinda-sorta:
>
> https://github.com/netty/netty/pull/2917

Just on this topic.  JEP 418 [1] added the SPI that is needed to deploy
an alternative resolver. Two prototype provider implementations exist,
one based on JNDI DNS, the other uses the Netty name resolver. It would
be a nice project for someone to run with one of those so that there is
an alternative resolver available to deploy with server applications
using virtual threads that do a lot of reserve DNS lookups.

-Alan

[1] https://openjdk.org/jeps/418