Question on Project Loom and motivation to introduce ScopedValues

Francesco Nigro nigro.fra at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 07:14:24 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have opened https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-core/issues/919 which
has been fixed by Mario Fusco, a Red Hat mate of mine.
In the issue I have explained few implementation strategy which I strongly
recommend, for similar use cases, but I didn't point the best strategy
overall: some of these cases uses pooling intermediate objects as a
solution to a problem they have created themselves.
For example, intermediate encoding steps which requires allocating byte[]
of unknown capacity upfront (If not by performing an estimation pass
upfront, which could be O(N)) were solved by a single pooled intermediate
byte[] allocation (via thread local) which proved to be a difficult match
for ScopedValue (as expected), but if we have a "linked arrays of byte[]"
structure enabling allocations in small chunks, it can be more GC friendly
than the usual ArrayList-like strategies and probably (to be measure, as
usual) won't requires any form of pooling, although we would allocate an
additional intermediate object.

Hope this helps,

Franz