Bundled app launcher changes

Mike Swingler swingler at apple.com
Fri Feb 10 17:47:02 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Michael Hall wrote:

>>> The classpath element is implemented using FileSets. We just don't call the element<fileset>, since that would be ambiguous.
>> But what is the new semantics in the "classpath" element?
>
> I would sort of like to be clear on how classpath will work with the launcher and Info.plist.
> Previously classpath was specified in the plist itself.
> e.g.
> 		<key>ClassPath</key>
> 		<array>
> 			<string>$JAVAROOT/halfpipe.jar</string>
>
> As I am understanding how things will be now.
> The ant task will copy fileset entries into fixed locations within the bundle that will be the runtime classpath.
> whatever.app/Contents/Java/Class/*.class
> whatever.app/Contents/Java/*.jar
>
> would be my guess as to where the ant task will place things.
> is this how classpath will work?

Perhaps the tag name <classpath> is subject to too much misinterpretation. Would <resource classpath=true> make it clear that it's a resource that should be copied into (whatever.app)/Contents/Java/, and may or may not be put on the apps classpath in the Info.plist?

If the classpath=true attribute is set, then a $JAVAROOT/myStuff.jar entry will be appended into the apps runtime classpath VM argument.

Would that syntax be more clear?

Just a thought,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.