Bundled app launcher changes

Mike Swingler swingler at apple.com
Fri Feb 10 21:29:01 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 8:48 PM, Igor Nekrestyanov wrote:

>> I agree that implementing deep copy sounds straightforward, at first. So do you specify copying from one origin root to another destination root? Do you want inclusion or exclusion rules? How do you specify app bundle relative paths? Will you want macro expansion? Do you want to specify one-off resources from inside or outside the project to be copied to arbitrarily paths in the target bundle? Does it matter which parts of the hierarchy exist first, or are copied in which order? And for each path in a hierarchy do you implicitly or explicitly exclude or include them from the classpath? Actually answering these questions takes time (writing them off the top of my head sure did), and implementing them takes even more time.
> Well, i think it is easier than you may think.
> Ant has it. Just allow developers to use standard fileset and resourcesets to define bundle content.
>
> This is partially what i was trying to explain - proposed any task look like reinventing the wheel.
> It does solve new problem (producing the bundle) but it does not follow usual ant approach to produce other type of "bundles"
> (e.g. jar, zip, copy, etc.). IMHO, right way to implement it would be to extend and customize existing tasks.

What syntax do you propose to take a fileset (which could contain multiple files or directories with no common root in the filesystem), and copy them into the $JAVAROOT of the bundle?

If all elements of the fileset were to be copied to the $JAVAROOT flat (and performing a straight copy of directories), how would you specify which individual files or fileset groups should be included on the classpath?

Just curious,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.