Java 7 for Mac OSX

Mike Swingler swingler at apple.com
Tue Feb 21 16:06:54 PST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 3:41 PM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Mike Swingler wrote:
>
>> Not speaking for Oracle, but that is the logically the stance of Apple
>> as of 2010, if you want to use Java 7 on the Mac:
>> <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12Oracle-and-Apple-Announce-OpenJDK-Project-for-Mac-OS-X.html>
>
> Thanks, that explanation helped. Silly me misunderstood this part:
>
> 	Apple will contribute most of the key components, tools and
> 	technology required for a Java SE 7 implementation on Mac OS X,
> 	including a 32-bit and 64-bit HotSpot-based Java virtual machine,
> 	[...]
>
> to mean that Java on MacOSX will continue to be a universal binary.

Apple contributed the 32/64-bit universal implementation, and it should continue to be build-able in OpenJDK. There is no substantive technical reason why 32-bit support should be removed (yet). Whether or not Oracle decides to qualify it and ship it in their proprietary binary is up to them.

Regards,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.