Dropping 32-bit support (was Branches)

Michael McMahon michael.x.mcmahon at oracle.com
Wed Feb 22 01:51:22 PST 2012

Jim,

If the Hotspot openjdk build is changed to produce both 32/64 bit binaries
then the JDK build can be changed to do the same. The only reason why
32 bit support was removed in the JDK libs was because it wasn't
available in Hotspot
at the time. This seemed to align with Oracle's (and Apple's)
views/plans at the time also.

However, it's clear there is a demand for at least the Openjdk source to
be buildable for
32/64 bit. How about if ARCH_DATA_MODEL=universal then we build both on
Mac OS X?

We can do this in jdk7u-dev (post 7u4) and in jdk8. I don't see any need
to get it into
7u4 because Oracle won't be supporting it in our JDK anyway.

- Michael