JavaFX 2.0

Tobias Bley tobi at ultramixer.com
Wed Feb 29 00:13:45 PST 2012

Hi Steve,

I'm very impressed of Java FX 2.1 and we are thinking about creating new applications with JavaFX instead of Swing. But a big problem in our point of view is the missing native skin support (css). So the caspian skin (caspian.css) looks very good, but  I want to develop native looking apps for the AppStore for instance, I need a native looking css file (skin aka Look and Feel).

Currently there is no such native looking skin but I think it's not very difficult to do that. All you have to do is the adjust the JavaFX2.1 default skin file (caspian.css). You'll find a good starting point here: http://fxexperience.com/2011/12/styling-fx-buttons-with-css/

It's an example of styling native looking buttons (e.g. Windows7, Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone, ...) with pure css.

The best approach to develop native skins for Windows and Mac OS X seams to be to take the swing approach (query colors, fonts, backgrounds and so on from the OS theme) and use it in conjunction with JavaFX' skin approarch (css file, FX skin class, bevaviour, components....)

Best regards,
Tobi

--
 Tobias Bley