guardWithTest

Attila Szegedi szegedia at gmail.com
Sun May 24 05:52:02 PDT 2009

On 2009.05.22., at 6:59, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> Hello Fabio!
>
> Fabio Kung wrote:
>> I don't know if this is how guardWithTest is intended to be used,
>> but I
>> found your code very clever. Making dynamic calls fall to the
>> fallback
>> implementation in the first time and after that, always going to the
>> target method until cache is invalidated. I'm impressed! (and just
>> trying to understand all these mlvm new things better).
>
> I think this is the right way to use guardWithTest, or at least it
> feels
> right to me :)

Definitely right - I've proposed this back in my JVM lang summit
presentation, see <http://wiki.jvmlangsummit.com/pdf/
25_Szegedi_mop.pdf> and search for "guardWithTest". I remember running
out of time then and not being able to present the ideas at the end of
the presentation correctly though... It's good to see it's catching on.

It's great to see all this progress folks. I have a half-completed
framework for interop between method handle resolvers for multiple
languages; I see I'll need to press on as both JRuby and Jython seem
to be advancing in invokedynamic in strides (it's just that, as usual,
I'm "losing" most of my time to my day job, but as I said, this
progress is really inspiring...)

Attila.